Read about our accomplishments in our recent annual report, below, and in our Form 990 financial reports. Please consider supporting this work with a donation today!
2020 Annual Report
It’s that time again for “all of us” to look back on the memories and accomplishments of the past twelve months. 2020 has been a hard year for many in the world and within our communities. The coronavirus pandemic changed many of our plans, but we were able to pivot to more online programming to connect with more people than ever. From virtual Jewish learning classes to our Online Speaker Series, Kulanu has leveraged technology to continue to support and raise awareness of our partner communities.
We ask that you donate now to Kulanu during these challenging times, as we continue to support isolated, returning, and emerging Jewish communities around the globe.
Here are some of the ways that your donations were put to great use over the past twelve months:
- Facilitated the printing of numerous Jewish works in local languages – including a Passover Haggadah in Hebrew, English, and Shona in Zimbabwe, a booklet detailing Jewish practices in English and Tagalog in the Philippines, and creating a printing center business in Madagascar to enable the community to print their own Jewish books in Malagasy and French, supported by the printing center’s sales.
- Continued work on building the mikvah, a Jewish ritual bath, in El Salvador. Sent funds so the community in Kenya could nearly complete their new social hall and kitchen.
- Hosted online learning courses for hundreds of students to learn about Jewish history, Hebrew language, kosher laws, and more with participants from El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Guatemala, India, Senegal, Cameroon, Ghana, and Zimbabwe.
- Sent donated Torah scroll to Brazil, and prayer books and Judaica to communities in the Philippines, Italy, Nicaragua, Honduras, and India using travelers as couriers before the pandemic.
- Recorded more original music in Zimbabwe, getting closer to the goal of a complete Shabbat service with Lemba tunes.
- Gave towards the legal fees to establish a much-needed Jewish cemetery on government land in Ethiopia.
- Funded holiday celebrations in Ghana, Italy, Pakistan, Uganda, and Zimbabwe.
- Welcomed new partner communities in Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Spain.
- Supported a computer lab program and deaf education scholarships in Uganda.
- Provided laptops, smartphones, and funds for internet access to leaders in Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Nigeria, Uganda, and Zimbabwe
- Constructed two new boreholes and a water reservoir in Zimbabwe to increase agricultural production in order to ensure the community becomes self-sufficient. Aided in the creation of a savings and loan cooperative for farmers in Uganda in addition to funding a land survey by an agronomist.
- Created holiday household food packages for communities in Ghana, Suriname, and Zimbabwe to ensure families could safely celebrate in their homes.
- Delivered food relief in partner communities experiencing food insecurity due to COVID-19 lockdowns in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Mexico, and Uganda.
- Provided guidance, referrals, and information to donors, scholars, journalists, filmmakers, and other nonprofits who wanted to learn from, support, and publicize our partner communities.
- Published two comprehensive 24-page magazines, maintained a rich website, and stayed active in social media networks- thanks especially to our team of devoted and skillful interns.
Please help us continue to serve our partner communities around the world with a generous donation today. Recurring gifts give us more freedom to plan ahead for the future. Donate now. Any amount will be greatly appreciated – and as you can see, it really does make a difference.
Thank you for being part of “all of us!”
Harriet Bograd, President
And “all of us” at Kulanu, Inc.