is planning a visit to the U.S. and Canada by Athalia Nalongo
, of the inspiring Jewish community of Uganda, who will be sharing the latest news of the joint Abayudaya-Kulanu sustainable development projects. Ms. Nalongo is treasurer of the Abayudaya
Congregation’s board of directors, secretary of the Abayudaya Women’s Association (AWA) and an executive member of the Delicious Peace Coffee Co-op. We are writing to ask for your help in identifying possible venues for this year’s Kulanu-Abayudaya speaking tour which will run October 23 through November 22, 2009
Ms. Nalongo will present a dynamic multi-media program updating audiences on the Kulanu-supported Abayudaya primary and high schools, which educate and feed 600 Jewish, Muslim and Christian children studying together in peace. She will also report on the child nutrition project; public health education and womenâ€™s empowerment programs; on-going classroom, dorm and school kitchen construction; as well as the village micro-finance, crafts, music CD, coffee, vanilla and eco-tourism self-help projects.
The educational program will be age-appropriate for all and can include a slideshow presentation and African Jewish music. When appropriate, a CD of Abayudaya music and hand-crafted kippot will be sold in conjunction with the presentation.
What is required of host locations?
- An honorarium of $1,000 plus a travel expense contribution of $250, for a total of $1,250 per event. You are welcome to seek co-sponsors to share your event. Tour proceeds support the two Abayudaya schools and their nutrition programs.
- A primary contact to be responsible for the event and for Athalia while she is in your city.
- A contact to manage the product sales (when applicable).
- Accommodations and meals for the speaker (home hospitality is great!). Athalia keeps kosher and is shomer Shabbat.
If you would like to host the speaker, what should you do next?
- Identify three (3) possible dates between October 23 and November 22, 2009.
- Contact Katie Rosenthal, Kulanuâ€™s speaking tour coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform her of your interest and your preferred dates.
This is an opportunity to perform a very special multilayered mitzvah — educating your community about the Abayudaya, helping the Abayudaya extend their relationships with the wider Jewish community and providing support for the educational, economic and spiritual growth of the Abayudaya.We look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to forward this letter to groups that might be interested in hosting Athalia Nalongo this fall. Thank you!