Announcing the 2011 Kulanu-Abayudaya Speaking Tour!
Kulanu is delighted to host Aaron Kintu Moses, of the inspiring Jewish community of Uganda, who will be returning to North America to share the latest news of his community and of the joint Abayudaya-Kulanu education and sustainable development projects.
We are requesting your help in identifying possible venues for this year's Kulanu-Abayudaya speaking tour which will run October 26 through November 23, 2011. Past tour schedules filled up in no time, so act quickly!
Mr. Kintu Moses will present a dynamic multi-media program updating audiences on the Kulanu-supported Abayudaya primary and high schools, which educate and feed 700 Jewish, Muslim and Christian children studying together in peace. He will also report on the child nutrition project; public health education and women's empowerment programs; on-going classroom, library, dorm and other school construction; as well as the village micro-finance, crafts, music CD, coffee, and eco-tourism self-help projects.
The educational program will be age-appropriate for all and can include a slideshow presentation and African Jewish music. You will be welcome to purchase CD's of Abayudaya music, hand-crafted kippot or other products from kulanuboutique.com to sell in conjunction with the presentation.
What is required of host locations?
Please know that you are welcome to seek co-sponsors to share your event. Synagogues of all denominations, Jewish community centers, Protestant churches, and secular and Catholic universities have all joined together to co-sponsor Kulanu Abayudaya speakers. Kulanu speakers have been welcomed at Brown, Cal State, Howard, Washburn, Wellesley, and Yale Universities. Within universities, many departments co-sponsored, including history, religion, music, Jewish studies, campus ministries, international development, and diversity offices.
Here is what we ask of event hosts:
- An honorarium of $1,200 plus a travel expense contribution of $250, for a total of $1,450 per event. Tour proceeds support the two Abayudaya schools and their nutrition programs. (We are offering a $200 discount to those who reserve a date and pay a $250 deposit by June 30, 2011).
- A primary contact to be responsible for the event and for Aaron while he is in your city.
- Accommodations and meals for the speaker (home hospitality is great!). Aaron keeps kosher and is shomer Shabbat, though he will ride to and from shul on Shabbat.
- Event set-up requirements are detailed in the online Event Planning Kit.
If you would like to host the speaker, what should you do next?
- Complete our online inquiry form to let us know of your interest and how to reach you. If you are able, please list three possible dates that might work for you.
- Please consult our online calendar to see which dates have already been assigned to other groups, and which dates have tentative requests.
- Check out Kulanu's online Event Planning Kit to get an idea of what is involved in hosting a successful speaking tour event.
This is an opportunity to make a very special multilayered contribution -- educating your community about the Abayudaya, helping the Abayudaya extend their relationships with the wider world community and providing support for the education of Abayudaya children and their Muslim and Christian neighbors
We look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to notify other groups that might be interested in hosting Aaron Kintu Moses this fall. Thank you!